On page SEO simply refers to the the text and content that is inside your website. To improve your on page seo, there are several factors that will affect the rankings and visibility in search engines.
On Page SEO Factors
- Title Tag
- Description Tags
- Alt Tags
- Rel=”nofollow” Tag
People tend to look for information through search engines and search engines deliver links according to that information but they don’t read it the same way. People judge content by reading words and listening to sounds. Search engines, however, read HTML code for your web pages.
The most important place on the page is to include keywords in the title tag, the wording that you see at the extreme top of your browser window which is known as H1. The title tag should be different for every page of your site since each page should be focused on a different keyword.
Meta tags provide additional ways to use your keywords that can allow you to obtain a better ranking in search engines. Meta description tags and Meta keyword tags are the only two you should focus on. Here are some tips for getting the general and page title Meta tags right:
- Use unique page titles, meta tags and focus on your main keywords
- Limit Meta descriptions to a few sentences and no more than a paragraph
- Use keywords to improve the look and clarity of your page – Use them for headlines and subheads. This makes it easier for search engines to locate them to improve your on page seo
- Don’t use overly generic text. “Teaching parakeets to talk” is good, “birds is not”
- Avoid tag pages. For example, “welcome page” and “home page” say nothing about your content and will reduce your keyword density
Some additional design and navigation tips
- Use text in navigation links and use alt text with images to improve your on page seo. Spiders don’t read graphics, so use alt tags solves this problem.
- Use css to enhance your pages appearance and prevent HTML tags from appearing too large.
- Include a site map so that search engines can locate it more quickly.
Internal Web Page Links
Make sure it is easy for the search engines to locate your web pages to any other internal links. Here are some of the tips to set up effective internal links.
Provide a link to your home page from every other page on your site.
Include links from your home page to all major pages and links to all primary pages from every page of your site.
Regularly check your site for broken links to prevent search engines to get irritated. This is also important when it comes to submitting your site to directories.
Add Valuable and Relevant Content
Search engines decode keywords in an attempt to provide their users with appropriate content links. So make sure you over deliver your content, your prospects and search engines will love you for that.
Here are some quick tips to add great information to your site
- Add and update your content regularly. Do with consistent action and not doing it all at once.
- Make it interactive. Showcase your visitors’ feedback and comments and allows others to join in
- Don’t go in alone. Use other experts’ advice as well but be sure to ask permission and links to their sites if it is copyrighted.
- RSS feeds. They allow for automatic updating of content-rich posts.